A program for parents with their young children. It’s about way more than horses – it’s a place for kids to develop important life skills.
Did you know that involving children with horses can improve their learning, memory, cognitive abilities, and life skills?
Check out these links:
- An American study with over 450,000 youth showed a 25% positive relationship with horses improving children’s life skills. Click here learn more about the American Study.
- This public health study looked at horseback riding and the impact on children. It found that horses can help children learn self control and appropriate reactions. Click here to learn more about the Public Health Study.
- Why Horses are Great for Kids is an excellent read from Equisearch and shares how horses help kids with problem solving, decision making, among many other benefits. Click here to learn more about Why Horses are Great for Kids.
What is the program?
Parent(s) can come with their children and enjoy a session of learning with horses – getting to touch, observe, listen, and do different games and tasks with horses.
Children experience the fun and excitement of working with horses, but they also practice many skills to help with confidence, leadership, language, and team work.
The sessions are geared towards toddlers (pre kindergarten), and are open for families to attend (with kids of different ages). Children participate at their own level (with assistance from their parent(s) as needed).
There is no minimum or maximum age to attend, however all children need to be supervised by parent(s) at all times to help ensure safety.
Some of the activities include:
- grooming horses
- leading horses
- learning about horses (colours, breeds, etc)
- learning about horse care (how they live, how to feed them, etc)
The program is structured so kids are learning and having fun with different games and interactions with horses.
The program includes some outdoor and indoor activities, and during cold days there is a heated education room to play games in or learn, while taking a break to warm up.
The program runs on Wednesdays at 11am and lasts about an hour but on some days may go longer depending on the activity. The activities will vary season to to season, so families can sign up for more than one season and continue to learn and enjoy horses.
Registration is for 3 months:
- Winter: December – February
- Our 2018 Winter program is 6 sessions, weekly on Wednesdays at 11am: January 24, 31, February 7, 14, 21, 28. Register for our Winter Program (25% off until January 14)
- Spring: March – May
- 12 sessions, weekly on Wednesdays at 11am: March 7, (No session March 14), 21, 28, April 4, 11, 18, 25, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 Register for our Spring Program
- Summer: June – August
- Fall: September – November
$180+HST (for 12 sessions) – however our 2018 Winter program is 6 sessions and costs $90
Pricing is based per family/group (up to 3 children and 2 adults), each additional child in a family/group is $2.50+HST/session.
Who is teaching?
The program is run by Aleisha- mother, Veterianrian Techncian, and horse owner of many years teaches our program with a positive, friendly, and supportive attitude. Occasionally there may be a subsitute instructor if Aleisha is away. Learn more about Our Staff click here.
Want to come visit us?
Want to come see the farm, meet some horses, and staff before you sign up? Come drop in to our free Open House Events, click here for more details.
Ready to Register for our Winter Program