A program for parents with their young children. It’s about way more than horses – it’s a place for kids to develop important life skills.
Did you know that involving children with horses can improve their learning, memory, cognitive abilities, and life skills?
Check out these links:
- An American study with over 450,000 youth showed a 25% positive relationship with horses improving children’s life skills. Click here learn more about the American Study.
- This public health study looked at horseback riding and the impact on children. It found that horses can help children learn self control and appropriate reactions. Click here to learn more about the Public Health Study.
- Why Horses are Great for Kids is an excellent read from Equisearch and shares how horses help kids with problem solving, decision making, among many other benefits. Click here to learn more about Why Horses are Great for Kids.
What is the program?
Parent(s) can come with their children and enjoy a session of learning with horses – getting to touch, observe, listen, and do different games and tasks with horses.
Children experience the fun and excitement of working with horses, but they also practice many skills to help with confidence, leadership, language, and team work.
The sessions are geared towards toddlers (pre kindergarten), and are open for families to attend (with kids of different ages). Children participate at their own level (with assistance from their parent(s) as needed).
There is no minimum or maximum age to attend, however all children need to be supervised by parent(s) at all times to help ensure safety.
Some of the activities include:
- grooming horses
- leading horses
- learning about horses (colours, breeds, etc)
- learning about horse care (how they live, how to feed them, etc)
- riding (during the horse friends group the toddlers do not get on the horses until several sessions into the program)
The program is structured so kids are learning and having fun with different games and interactions with horses.
The program includes some outdoor and indoor activities, and during cold days there is a heated education room to play games in or learn, while taking a break to warm up.
“My daughter just had the best experience at toddler classes. For the last 6 weeks she has talked about Alicia and Louie (one cannot forget the cat), Angel and Dreamer.
My 2 1/2 year old has been telling everyone she meets about the horses she feeds, and grooms and pets and walks.
She has learned what a halter is and explains it to people, she knows Angel is “peanut” colour (ok, so peanut and chestnut are close, right.) She remembers that Dreamer is a palomino.
Alicia was an amazing teacher, very patient and very good at explaining and helping. She was able to teach her so much in a short amount of time.
She had the time of her life. I would recommend the class to anyone with a toddler interested in horses.” Jennifer Avery
It is a weekly program. Please check our registration page to see what is currently offered. Sign up is for the fall, winter, spring, or summer season.
- Partridge Horse Hill Shop Show your PHH pride by wearing our new T-shirts, hoodies, and more
- Harmony Horsemanship Shop If you love harmony with your horse this is the place to shop! Also featuring 'Life is Better with an OTTB' clothes
- Harmony Horsemanship 101 Course learn online
- Online Calendar to check booked lessons and events